How, When, and Why We Collect Information
- Initiation of Contact by Us. We may use any information you provide to us to contact you.
- Activity That Doesn’t Require Registration. You can view content on the Website without registering or providing any personal information. When you enter the Website, we collect information such as your browser and operating system type and IP address to optimize your experience on the Website and to track aggregate Website usage. In addition, we use a “session” cookie to identify you while you are on the Website, if cookies are enabled on your computer. This session cookie terminates once you finish using the Website and close your browser.
- Activity Requiring Registration. Certain activities on the Website such as joining SEIU as an associate member require you to register, which are subject to the terms stated here. To become a registered user, we ask you to provide your name, email address, postal code, occupation and employer. If you decide to register, we use a persistent cookie that stores certain information to make it easier for you to login when you come back to the Website. However, none of your personal information is stored in that cookie. Furthermore, SEIU has no access to any payment or financial information provided through this Website.
- Polls and Surveys. From time to time, we may conduct polls and surveys. Information collected through our polls, surveys, and questionnaires is used in the aggregate, unless we contact you to request permission to use your individual responses for a particular purpose.
- We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13.
Uses of Personal Information
- The personal information that SEIU collects on the Website helps us, our state and local affiliates and SEIU-related organizations to efficiently and effectively represent our members, to pursue our advocacy agenda, and to provide valuable member benefits.
- In order to advance these goals and activities, we may share the personal information that we collect about you with our state and local affiliates and other SEIU-related organizations, as well as third parties that perform services on our behalf. Additionally, subject to applicable law, we may share any of the personal information that we collect about you with certain third parties that share our interests. We will not share any financial information you have entered into this website unless legally required to do so.
- We will use your email address to communicate with you about SEIU’s activities and offerings, unless you opt-out from receiving such messages. We will also use your email address for administrative purposes, such as notifying you of major Website changes, sending messages related to actions you have taken on the site or for customer service purposes. Although we hope you’ll find these communications informative and useful, if you don’t, you can always unsubscribe by following the simple instructions included in each email.
- When you send email or other communications to us, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- We use both your personally identifying information and certain non-personally-identifying information (such as anonymous usage data, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality of your user experience and the design of the Website and to create new features, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing user behavior, preferences, trends, and actions.
Information Security and Data Integrity
SEIU takes security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
Effective Date: November 15, 2022